8 Social Marketing Fails to Avoid
1. Little or no social media
or blogging activity.
Why start a blog and never publish? Why start a Twitter account and never tweet? In social marketing, you have to show up and be active. Yes, starting that Facebook page was a good idea, but unless you are going to be consistent in posting and using it, just forget about it.
You can save time by using sites like 40Billion.com
, which specializes in broadcasting and promoting posts to its large network of several million users across the most popular social networking sites for small businesses - including Twitter, LinkedIn, 40Billion, and even Facebook. Innovative services like promoted posts
, future retweets and promoted company listings
were created to make social media marketing
easy and affordable for entrepreneurs and marketers who want to tap into a growing, active network online.
Need some help starting a new business? Download startup guides
2. Publishing low quality content.
It doesn't matter if this is on your blog or your social posts, if you do not provide quality to your community, they will leave. Stop writing fluff pieces, and show them where's the beef.
3. It's 24/7 about you.
We've seen these posts - they are all about 'me' when they should be all about 'them' - your community of users. Social media is a place to build relationships with your current and prospective customers, not scare them off.
4. No strategy.
Using social marketing for business is tough. You have to have a plan. This isn't anything new. Attempting to do this blindly will only lead you to disaster. You have to know why you are using social marketing and have everything you do point back to that reason.
5. No social links or social share buttons on website or blog.
I like to use the analogy, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, can you hear it? If you are on social media and you don't tell anyone you are there, how will they find you? By accident? Same goes for articles on your blog - set up social sharing icons so people can share your great content and let others know you are there.
6. Not responding. At all. To anything.
Don't you hate it when you comment on a post somewhere and there is no response. You have to be engaged with your community - you have to be present and be active.
7. Not taking things seriously.
Yes, social marketing can be fun; however, it's also a lot of work. You have to take it seriously. With all the changes that happen rapidly, you will always be on your toes. You can have fun with it, but you are doing this for your business or someone else's - it's not personal play time.
8. Not keeping up with the changes.
This one will get you in the rear every time. If you can't or don't keep up with the changes you'll be left behind or worse - get an account suspended. You will not be successful unless you know what is going on.
In conclusion, let's summarize what you can do to not fail:
* Make a goal to provide one quality article each week. We will all publish fluff at some point, but have one, good solid post a week.
* Take an active role in your community - 'talk' with your customers, ask and answer questions, show them you care more about them than yourself. Be someone they can trust.
* Be consistent. They say long and steady wins the race, and it does in social marketing. Keep at it and don't give up; you will get there.
* Have a plan. Write your goals on a piece of paper and plan out how you are going to use social marketing to get there. Having a plan (strategy) will not only keep you organized, it will keep you focused.
* Continually educate yourself. This is a fast-paced industry. Subscribe to a few blogs and stay in the loop. People will follow and trust those who truly know what is going on.About 40Billion.com
40Billion is the social network of entrepreneurs and crowdfunders - a social platform for connecting business owners and promoting the things they create. Use 40Billion to find professional contacts and projects, get affordable business advertising
and crowdfunding promotion
, and show off your creations to the world. Awarded Best Small Business Marketing Platform
by US Business News!Recommended: Smart Entrepreneurs Do These 4 Accounting Steps